Rockstar offers new details on GTA Online
Apparently, a healthy number of you out there are enjoying Grand Theft Auto 5. The game has sold roughly 2.5 gazillion copies since its release last week, and if the news out of Rockstar today is any indication, their plans to conquer your free time are just beginning. GTA Online is coming, and it sounds amazing. Read on for the details.
Fresh off grabbing the record for the biggest thing to ever sell in the history of selling things, Rockstar had posted a brand new blog post on their website, greatly expanding on what they’ve said previously about GTA Online. It’s a great read, and tells you basically everything you ever wanted to know about the upcoming open world multiplayer experience. You’ll probably even learn some things you didn’t know you wanted to know. But if you’re in a rush, and only want the bullet points, I’ve got you covered. Get it? Covered? Bullets? Because guns… nevermind.
- Up to 16 players can play in the same session at the same time.
- Everything is customizable, from your avatar’s sex and appearance, to the guns and cars to acquire.
- Wide variety of missions and jobs. Can be played alone, or with friends.
- Sports like tennis, golf, base jumping and more can all be played, either against friends or random strangers.
- Races are everywhere. Basically, if if can be driven, it can be raced in GTA Online. There is even a rally mode where driver and navigator work together.
- Everything you do in GTA Online earns you Reputation points. As your reputation rank increases, more options in the world become available to you, from more powerful weapons to better criminal contacts.
- Cash plays an important role. Clothes, cars, guns, and property all cost money, which can be earned through activities like robberies, racing, and sports. Cash, or “GTA$,” can also be purchased through an in-game store. Yes, this means microtransactions. Rockstar assures that the GTA Online economy has been balanced so that the “vast majority” of players will never need to purchase cash. There is no paywall, and the option to purchase GTA$ is only there for the players who wish to achieve a high-roller lifestyle more quickly. And no, cash earned in single player cannot be transferred to multiplayer. Sorry.
Four free content updates are already planned to be released in the weeks following GTA Online’s launch on October 1st.
- A content creator, which will allow you to design your own deathmatches and races.
- The Beach Bum Pack, a collection of 4 new vehicles, 2 guns, and 300 items of clothing.
- Capture The Flag, GTA style.
- Heists. Yup, full blown cooperative heist missions, just like the ones in single player. You’ll even get a planning board for your sweet gangster pad.
As awesome as all this sounds, Rockstar made a point to remind everyone that the launch of GTA Online will probably not be without some hiccups, both large and small. Glitches and crashes are all but inevitable, and Rockstar is asking players to provide feedback so that they can hunt down and fix problems as efficiently as possible. They’ve set up a special email address, GTAOnline@rockstargames.com, for feedback. They’re also encouraging players to post in the Rockstar Social Club forums, once they open when GTA Online launches.
Sounds pretty cool, right? And remember, all of this is free. All you need to access it is a copy of GTA5, which you all apparently already have,