Save Game Sunday Kickday: Bacon Man
“Old King Roast Beef has been brutally murdered, and his obviously innocent grandson Bacon Man has been framed by the Food Kings. Escape the clutches of evil, gather allies, and help Bacon Man restore his rightful place on the Meat Throne.” That’s the pitch for Bacon Man, a side scrolling adventure game that’s our pick for this week’s Sunday Kickday. Read on to learn more about it.
It’s a widely known fact that bacon is the most wondrous thing in the known universe, so it seems impossible that nobody has made a videogame about bacon until now. But some enterprising young developers have taken on the challenge of creating a game worthy of the world’s greatest meat product, and the result looks very promising indeed. I introduce to you, Bacon Man.
Bacon Man is a side scrolling platformer inspired by classics like Rayman and Earthworm Jim. Bacon Man’s foes can be smited (smote?) with either his mighty fists, or his trusty toaster gun. Why toast? Because what goes better with bacon (besides more bacon) than toast? The game has all the hallmarks of a classic platformer, with collectibles, hidden areas, and leveling. Bacon Man even comes with a two player co-op mode. The spark of brilliance that gave birth to Bacon Man was formed where all great notions come from: a college dorm room. The group of friends who would eventually form Skymap games originally envisioned Bacon Man to be a simple Flash game. But Bacon Man was too grand a concept to be limited to Flash, so the project grew to become a fully 3D game running on the Unreal Development Kit by Epic Games. Now, bacon truly has a game worthy of its name. All that remains to be done is to get it completed. That, my bacon loving friends, is where you come in.
Bacon Man is being developed by Boston based Skymap games, a small independent game studio which, after years of contract work, has decided to embark on Bacon Man, its first original title. To help bring their vision of a meat based antihero to life, they need our help. They are currently running a Kickstarter campaign, and are a little more than halfway towards their $20,000 goal, with 11 days to go. If Bacon Man looks like something you might be interested in, Skymap has a number of different pledge levels to choose from, all of which are cumulative. Check them out below.
- $15: A digitial copy of the game for PC or Mac.
- $20: The Bacon Man Beta Demo + PDF artbook filled with concepts, storyboards, and comments from the team + The Bacon Man Original Soundtrack by Kyle Landry and Braxton Burks offered in a variety of formats.
- $60: Previous tiers + Two disc physical package containing a DVD with the game, CD with the original soundtrack, and full color instruction manual + A postcard from your pal Bacon Man.
- $70: Kickstarter exclusive limited edition t-shirt.
- $120: Wall poster and hard cover art book shipped directly to your estate.
- $250: Your name in the game’s credits + we’ll place an image of your choosing into the game as an item.
- $500: A copy of every future Skymap Games production + a video chat with the developers + a secret in-game room dedicated exclusively to you.
- $1000: An invitation to spend the day with the Skymap Crew! We’ll show you how we make games and take you out for a nice lunch. After that we’ll hang out at the game’s launch party! (Travel fees not included)
If Kickstarter really isn’t your thing, but you still have a hankering for some bacon based platforming action, Bacon Man is also on Steam Greenlight. So what do you think? Is mouth suddenly watering for those uniquely crispy, salty and sweet sensations that only come from mankind’s greatest achievement in animal based food products? If so, why not make this Sunday a Kickday, and help make Bacon Man a reality?